|Red Lake History Project
A RLNN Work in Progress
| Copyright © 2010 Red Lake Net News
All Rights Reserved.
|Red Lake History 1880-1899|
|1880 - The Agent recommended a new saw-mill at Red Lake to replace the old one which was unfit for use.
1880 - The Red Lake and White Earth bands harvested 39,000 bushels of wheat, 13,000 bushels of corn, and 22,000 bushels of potatoes.
1880 - The Episcopal Mission church was built of logs at Red Lake and is now regarded as the oldest building on the reservation. .
1881 - Clement H. Beaulieu was appointed postmaster at Red Lake on October 24.
1881 - Dr. H. W. Brent served at Red Lake from April 5 to February of the following year, 1882.
1882 - R. R. Wentworth was appointed postmaster at Red Lake on January 6th; Hattie R. Smithes on May 12th; John H. Wilson on August 30. On October 12th the post office was discontinued and moved to White Earth. It was re-established at Red Lake on November 27 with William R. Spears as postmaster.
1883 - Dr. J. R. Hollowbush served as physician at Red Lake from May 15 to September 19, 1885. He was appointed postmaster also on November 12, 1883 and served until May, 1886.
1884 - The Commissioner's report contained the following statement, "Attention is called to the fact that this evil (intemperance) is unknown among six of the seven bands of Indians on the Red Lake Reservation."
1884 - Courts of Indian offenses were established on several reservations including one at Red Lake. These were not given legal recognition until several years later but they greatly aided the Indian Agents in dealing with law offenders.
1885 - Because of the Magnitude of the Red Lake Reservation it was almost impossible to protect its boundaries from pine thievery. A report stated, "Timber cutting and logging operations are carried on from both sides of the International line, and the vast extent of the timber zone renders it utterly impossible to protect the timber from wholesale theft."
"A Bill was introduced in the 48th Congress (H.R. 4384) as a substitute for the one previously introduced (H.R. 846) which, among other things, provides for the appraisement and sale of stumpage on said Reservation, for the benefit of the Indians. There should be some provisions for the protection of this valuable timber against unlawful depredation." (C.R. 1885 pp LXI).
1885 Major Crimes Act
1885 - 1886 The Red Lake Boarding school had a capacity of fifty students and the day school twenty students. There were four teachers and seven employees. The largest monthly attendance was 123 and the average attendance was sixty-eight for the Boarding school and eleven for the Day school. The school continued for ten months at a total cost to the government of $5,076.37 or an average cost per capita per month of $7.47.
The employees listed were: Jerry Sheehan, Head teacher; Mary English, S. M. Rowell and H. Heth Jr., assistant teachers; Anna M. Rowell, matron; L. L. Laird, matron; Elizabeth Graves, seamstress; Josette Lawrence, cook; Isabel Martin, cook; and Madeline Jourdain, laundress.
1886 Northwest Indian Commission came to meet with the Sandy Lake Ojibwe.
1886 - S. M. Rowell was appointed postmaster at Red Lake on May 6. He was succeeded by Jeremiah Sheehan on August 20 and he continued until October, 1888.
1886 - The Indian Court of Claims was established and a Commission was authorized by Congress to hear cases against the government, recommend treaty modifications as needed on the Reservations and other changes that were needed. T